Sunday, May 19, 2013

Homemade Cheese "Ritz Bitz" crackers

Recently I began to realize how bad a lot of the food we were eating really are. I am now working really hard to eliminate all Genetically Modified foods from our diet as well as switching over to as much organic as I can afford.

One of my son's favorite foods is cheese filled sandwich crackers. Everyone I have looked at contains High Fructose Corn Syrup in them. The organic variety are very expensive. So I asked around and found a recipe to try to make my own. I started with this recipe for GF Ritz Bitz but didn't really want Gluten Free crackers. So I was off on a Pinterest hunt for regular crackers. I ended up trying this one out this time Homemade Ritz Crackers.

I had the help of my 4 year old for this project. I love that you mix the dough in a food processor which made it super easy. I didn't end up adding all the water since the dough was already looking way to wet.

 We used a plastic medicine cup to cut out the crackers. Something metal would probably work better I will have to keep my  eyes open for what to get.


 The finished crackers. We got two trays this size from one batch plus some just random ones I cut up at the end to use the rest of the dough.
 And here are our finished cracker sandwiches. Sorry forgot to take pics of the cheese sauce. I used colby cheese because I wanted something semi mild for my son and I couldn't find Asiago at my store. I did end up adding some 3 cheese mix to it that had Asiago in it to add a little more flavor. My sauce came out super runny. Not sure if it was because my milk was all stuck to the bottom of the can which I realized later or the different cheese or what. I ended up adding more flour to it and putting it in the bullet blender to get the lumps out. I only used 1/2 of the cheese for these and put the rest in the fridge for next time. My son liked them but I am not sure he loved them. He has been sick so that might be all it is.
We will be trying a lot more DIY stuff in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment